PyConZA is an annual conference on the open-source programming language Python.
- Google’s PageSpeedInsight: 70 on mobile, 83 on desktop
- Webaim’s WAVE: 10 errors, 1 alert
- WebPageTest on Motorola G - Chrome on 3G: SpeedIndex of 4446 on first run and 2616 on a repeat.
- Pretty lean and mean, clocking in at about 0.5MB.
- Images could do with optimisation and having alt text added.
- Things could be squeezed even smaller by removing the dependencies on Bootstrap (by writing some small, short, CSS) and jQuery (writing vanilla JS instead: looks like it’s just used for menus?)
The quick win
300KB of 500KB of the page size comes from one (background) image:
clouds_top.png at 2300 x 450 px. Some different approaches that could be taken:
- Optimise the image. Running it through kraken crunches the image down to 75KB.
- Use a different file format: the same image as a gif is only 34KB.
- The image contains a lot of blank space: split it into two separate images and apply them as multiple background images.
- Make a few smaller versions of the image, and include those at different sizes using media queries.
Published on Friday 24th June 2016.
Steve Barnett (@maxbarners) and Justin Slack (@justin_r_slack)
CTFEDs Organising Team